Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Learning the Language

I don't know if I can write a blog or not. I've tried six different ways to start this one, and none has seemed right - but here goes. The purpose of this blog is to chronicle my experiences and findings in exploring the history of our ancestors - starting with the generation just below us and working back. Family history research is a natural for folks who love puzzles, (me!) and I love research and language study!

The first of my Mother's ancestors to touch these golden shores came in the early 1600's and over the centuries found their way from the east coast, all the way to the west. My father was a first generation American - born of Croatian immigrants. Rod's heritage is English, French and German with a smattering of Native American. Now come our beautiful Daughters (in-law) who bring Italian, Lithuanian, Irish, more German, and more into the mix. When I was a child and the subject of heritage came up, our stock reply was, "We're Heinz 57", which is even more true for the generation of our grandchildren.

Preface - I believe that the Universe is very happy to provide - you just have to ask.

I'm researching our Krajacic' (h) family which came from Croatia before 1900. I've requested microfilms (From FLS) of the parish church in the village where they said they came from - Fuzine, Croatia. Since they are in Croatian, I though it wouldn't hurt to try to familiarize myself with the language knowing that I will probably have to find someone to translate for me. So the language books I requested came in and I went to the Neighborhood library to pick them up. The desk person provided a friendly, accented greeting and was curious about my wanting to study Croatian. Did you guess already? Yes, she is from Croatia - from a small town in the east - she was very supportive - to the point of telling me there is a Croatian language class at UT and offering to help me translate whatever family records I find. . .

Wish me luck - I'm looking for life stories of those who've come before. . . if you have any to share - send them along!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your blogging, genealogy, and Croatian adventures!

    ReplyDelete